Call for entries
Deadline: 16 March 2008
e-MobiLArt: European Mobile Lab for Interactive Artists
European Mobile Lab for Interactive Media Artists (e-MobiLArt) is a project tailored around the process of creating collaborative interactive installation artworks. Such interactive mediated environments may involve the use of multimodal interfaces, ubiquitous computing and mobile or locative media technologies.
The e-MobiLArt project aims to provide selected participants with an ideal context, that will allow them to travel, collaborate and exhibit their work.
During this project, artists and scientists who are active in creating interactive media art or pursuing innovative interdisciplinary research will have the opportunity to:
- create interactive installation artworks
- collaborate with other artists and scientists from different countries
- get technical support and tuition from experts on using innovative technologies for creating interactive art
- meet, discuss and collaborate with curators and museum organizers
- exhibit their work in at least two different European countries
- document their work in a special issue of Leonardo Electronic Almanac and the exhibition catalogue
- participate in an international network of artists, researchers, academics and theorists
Eligibility / requirements:
Artists from all disciplines are encouraged to apply to e-MobiLArt: interactive installation artists, video artists, visual artists, net artists, as well as musicians, choreographers, performance artists and others who wish to experiment with the use of interactive technologies.
Individuals with a scientific background and the willingness to experiment in a collaborative artistic project, as described above, are also eligible.
Selected participants will attend three (3) workshops.
During (and in between) the workshops, participants will work in groups in order to develop their projects by:
– Following an open process of artistic creation and experimentation
- Getting support on technical and theoretical issues
- Complementing each other’s skills within an interdisciplinary collaborative creative process
- Enhancing their technical skills through hands-on creative activity
- Creating artworks that will reflect the process of intercultural dialogue
- Participating in an on-line network of communication
Dates of the workshops: (precise dates will be announced till the end of February)
- 1st Workshop: Athens, June 2008
- 2nd Workshop: Rovaniemi, August 2008
- 3rd Workshops: Vienna, February 2009
After the workshops, the resulting interactive installation artworks will be exhibited in at least two museum / gallery spaces: the State Museum of Contemporary Art in Thessaloniki, Greece (possibly during the 2009 Biennale) and the Gallery of the Academy of Fine Arts in Katowice, Poland.
These exhibitions will take place in autumn 2009.
Deadline for applications: Sunday, March 16th, 2008.
Project partners and sponsors:
The e-MobiLArt Project is under the support of the CULTURE 2007 Programme of the European Union. It is co-coordinated by the University of Athens (Greece). Co-organising partners are: the University of Applied Arts Vienna (Austria) and the University of Lapland (Finland).
Associate partners are: Leonardo/OLATS (France), Group Haute Ecole ICHEC Saint Louis (Belgium), State Museum of Contemporary Art in Thessaloniki (Greece), The Academy of Fine Arts – Katowice (Poland) and Cycling74 (U.S.A.).
More information and the full application form for participation can be found at: