Call for entries
Deadline: 1 April 2013
FESTIVAL MANIFESTO The Image festival of Toulouse
Manifesto, the festival launches its calls for applications for its next edition which will take place from September 07 to September, 2013.
Founded in 2002 by a group of photographers from Toulouse, after 10 years of existence the festival ManifestO has established itself as a major event photography in France.
Demanding in its programing, ManifestO, the festivals, has set its mission to be
- Disclose annually to the public a selection of contemporary photography creation
- Provide visibility and a opportunities for creative photographers through a high-profile festival
- Show high quality photographic work : a dozen winners each year are selected by an independent jury of professionals and personalities from the arts business
- Present to the widest audience the work of an internationally renown photographer invited by the festival
- In a period of time of 3 weeks, propose free and accessible to all events, such as conferences, meetings with artists, hosting school visits, performances and night
The festival is a success both with the public (28,000 visitors this year again) and with the photographers. This legitimacy strengthens the ambitions of the organizers for years to come.
ManifestO invites all photographers wishing to exhibit their work to send a portfolio of their project.
There is no defined theme. Each proposition will be judged in terms of its quality and consistency. The festival is open to all photographers without any condition of age, nationality or status (professional or amateur). Collective projects are accepted.
Applications will be reviewed by a hight quality professional jury.
Photographers will be chosen by the jury based on the quality of their artistic practice and the relevance of their work. The jury’s decision is final and cannot be subject to any appeal.
Deadline for submissions : April 01, 2013.
Selected candidates will be notified by e-mail only around mid May. The list of selected photographers will be published in the newsletter of the Festival and on the Facebook account of the Festival ManifestO.
The selected photographers will be exhibited in Toulouse from September 07 to September 28, 2013.
Only one application will be accepted per person.
Application should be sent to the following address :
Festival ManifestO/ZE – 8, rue Gutenberg – 31200 Toulouse
The applications must include :
1. A paper file consisting of
- A printed portfolio (size up to 21 x 29.7 cm.) Always indicate the back of each photo the name of the artist, the name of the presented series, the title of the image, and the serial number of the image in the series (between 01 and xx)
- A text presenting the series and the title of the series. Please specify the title of each image, the number of images you want to show in the exhibition and the size and form intended for the exhibition prints.
- A short biography of the author
- The application form duly completed and signed in 2 duplicates
width=’52′ height=’52′ style=’height:52px;width:52px;’ />
2. A digital copy of the paper file on CD or DVD which includes
- The high-resolution images (300 dpi, A4 catalog print size)
- The images in low resolution (800 pixels on the longest side)
- The text presenting the series and the biography in .Doc or .Rtf or .Txt or .Odt format. No .Pdf accepted.
Image files should have a filename using the following format : name_number.jpg, the name being the surname of the photographer and the number being the serial number of the image in the series (01 to xx) Text files (presentation texte and bio) must also have a filename starting with the name of the photographer.
The jury will make its selection solely on the basis of paper files. Applications without paper portfolio will be excluded. The websites of the candidates may not be considered as part of the application.
ManifestO disclaims any liability for loss, theft or destruction of prints or any part of the application during the process of selection by the jury including while it is in the mail.
Warning ! Only applications fulfilling all these conditions will be considered by the jury.
NOTE : If you want your work to be returned after the selections, please make sure you attach to the application an envelop of the right size with sufficient postage (stamps). For non french based applicants,your work will be returned only if you send along with the application an envelop and a prepaid postal reply coupon.
Applications received without return envelop can be retrieved during the festival period in our public reception point.
Commitments of the photographers
Submitting an application implies the full acceptance by the photographer of all the conditions of the present call for applications.
1. Participation in the call for applications is free. The photographers selected to exhibit their work in the Festival ManifestO must become members of the association “ ON / OFF” (festival organizer) and pay a one time registration fee of 15 euros.
2. Each selected photographer commits to doing the installation and the dismantling of his work on location of the exhibition and to be present during the evening of the public opening.
3. Photographic prints, frames and other forms of presentation are provided by the authors at their costs.
4. For the promotion of the festival (television, internet, programs, posters, leaflets …), the authors grant ManifestO the right to distribute excerpts of their work (without financial counterpart for the producers and authors). This authorization also applies to publications in newspapers and magazines in order to promote the festival and the authors.
5. The photographer certifies that the images are original creations under the French Law on Intellectual Property and do not constitute infringement of copyrighted work. The photographer warrants that third parties, including those that may appear on his work or authors and copyright holders of those works reproduced on the photographer’s work, gave their him permission for the reproduction and representation of their image.
6. In case of serious event, the festival may be canceled or suspended at any time without notice and without compensation for the authors.
1. Manifesto commits to paying to the selected authors a “representation right” of 150 € (for the duration of the exhibition) and will pay for travel costs up to 150 € (upon presentation of costs proofs)
2. Manifesto commits not to use the images sent by the photographers which where not selected.
3. Manifesto commits to use the images provided by the selected photographers only for the purpose of promoting the festival and to contact in advance the photographers for permission and agreeing the terms of copyright in the event of use of the images for other uses not linked to the festival (retrospective edition of a book, …).
4. The festival team will provide photographers the help they need when connecting and disconnecting the exhibition.
5. All exhibits are insured for the duration of the exposure. Manifesto will be held responsible for any damage that may have occurred during exposure on the festival site (subject to the observation made at the arrival of works in conjunction with the authors on site)